About Me

My photo
I am travelling this world in my RV with my husband George and my two Collie Kids. Together we are looking for the next adventure.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Lake Lure~ "I had the time of my life"

Anyone that knows me, knows that I am a true blue Patrick Swayze fan, and a fan of the movie Dirty Dancing. Today I finally got the chance to go to Lake Lure North Carolina and visit the location where Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey filmed the movie Dirty dancing. I just can't describe the feeling of excitement I had while I toured that area. My feelings are bitter sweet now that Patrick Swayze has died of pancreatic cancer. However I still "HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE".

I was so excited this morning while I was getting ready to go to Lake Lure. I must have watched Dirty Dancing at least 10 maybe 12 times since it first came out in 1987, and now, I was actually going to see where it was filmed. I would stand where Patrick stood, and I would be in the very lake where dance instructor Johnny Castle and Baby Houseman practiced their dance lifts. Ohhh I was sooo excited.... I packed a bag with our swim suits and towels and off we went.

Getting there was half the fun, the scenery was so beautiful it was breathtaking.




On the highway to lake Lure we could see the Blue Ridge mountains getting closer.


We are now approaching North Carolina. We couldn't have picked a better day to do this, the weather was just perfect. It was not as hot today as it has been in the past few weeks.


As we drove into the Blue Ridge Mountains and Lake Lure, I quickly fell in love with this area. I can sure see why National Geographic calls Lake Lure one of the top ten most beautiful man made lakes in the world.






George enjoying the view.




This is the historic Lake Lure Inn and Spa where scenes of the movie were filmed. The film producers, staff, and actors all stayed at this Inn. Patrick Swayze stayed in room 215 and Jennifer Grey stayed in what is now room 304/305.

George and I walked around the streets for awhile just taking in all the beauty of this beautiful town.



We walked along the boardwalk on the beach. It was absolutely beautiful. This is the beach that was used in the movie.


This is taken from the movie, it is the same beach as the pictures above.

We took pictures and went into a few souvenir shops. I bought a Lake Lure tee shirt and matching hat. We slowly made our way over to the Lake Lure boat tours. We bought our tickets and boarded the pontoon.
The boat tour was amazing. It gave us a guided tour of the whole area.
The tour guide explained everything from how the lake was made to where every movie was filmed in the area. I found out dirty Dancing wasn't the only movie made in this lake. Other movies that were filmed here were, Last of the Mohican's, Fire Starter with Drew Barrymore, My Fellow Americans, a comedy with Jack Lemmon and James Gardner,and A Breed Apart.

Also there have been several commercials filmed here.

As the boat approached the cove where the movie Dirty Dancing was filmed, our tour guide pointed out where certain scenes in the movie were shot. I was so excited I could hardly stay in my seat. All I could think of was that I was such a fan, and now I'm in the exact location where it was filmed. I had goosebumps....haaha


These are the stairs in the movie where Jennifer Grey (Baby) delivers the watermelon. Also the same stairs used for the scene where she practices her dance moves alone.


The white deck is no longer there, but the stairs remain the same.


This picture is the point in the cove where the famous dance lift was practiced.


Wow what a day, it was fantastic, like I said earlier "I had the time of my life"

And who better to share this day with then my Patrick Swayze....and my best friend. "Thanks George"



2 comments:

  1. Yes I always watch DWTS and this season it is just super special now that Jennifer will be dancing. When she started to cry, I was so touched. I wish her well in both life and on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi friend. I am sorry to disappoint you, but although it is true that in this area several scenes of the movie Dirty Dancing were recorded, all the buildings (dance studio, employee cabins and final dance hall) were demolished or burned shortly afterwards. The lake scene was recorded at the Mountain Lake lodge in Pembroke, Virginia. That lake has dried up, and you can see the cement blocks that were used for the floating platform on which the protagonists of the film used to stand for the mythical scene. The Lake lure hotel always indicates that the lake scene was recorded there to be a claim for the fans of the film to go, but it is a lie and a fake. Actually right now the movie is only at Mountain Lake Lodge hotel, Pembroke, Virginia.

    ReplyDelete